Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Volunteering to Help Find Cures

Some of you will know me as the CVN's Program Chair last year. However, I have many hats and today wanted to focus on the volunteering that I do for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. I am currently participating in my second season as a mentor for the Team Challenge program. Team Challenge is the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s new endurance training program that trains participants to run or walk a half marathon while helping the Foundation raise funds to find a cure for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.

After completing the program myself, I realized I wanted to inspire and push participants to meet both their fund raising and training goals. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease four years ago and while most people see me as "normal", I will never again have a normal life until there is a cure. Everyone deserves to feel normal and healthy, no one should have to feel the way I felt when I was told I have an incurable disease. That is why I volunteer with this program so that their will be a cure in my lifetime.

There are so many worthy causes and foundations that could use your help. Whether it is working in a local chapter's office, participating in legislation advocacy programs, or organizing support groups, volunteers are always needed for these non-profits. Don't forget training for a race on the other side of the country is volunteering as well as you are helping raise funds to find cures.

If you are interested in getting more involved for a particular cause, let me know and I can link you to a local chapter. We are also always looking for participants for the Team Challenge program, which currently has races going to Boston or Napa. To learn more about what I am doing, please follow my blog and come out to my large fundraiser and silent auction on April 20th at Dogfish Ale House in Falls Church, where 15% of of all the proceeds that day go to the Foundation.

-Lisa

--
Lisa Dorsey
Monthly Meetup Lead, Social Committee
Community Volunteer Network (CVN)

No comments:

Post a Comment